Specialty: Geriatric Medicine
Sub-specialties: Orthogeriatrics, Falls
Dr Varman is a senior consultant with the Department of Geriatric Medicine at Changi General Hospital (CGH) with a special interest in falls and orthogeriatrics. He is also a clinical senior lecturer with the Department of Medicine at Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore and a visiting senior consultant at St Andrews Community Hospital.
Prior to joining CGH in 2013, Dr Varman was a consultant in geriatrics and internal medicine at Bolton NHS, UK, for seven years. Before this, he was awarded Certificate of Completion in Training (CCT) in both geriatrics and general medicine in 2006. He has also worked across many hospitals in UK as a trainee doctor since 1995, after his MBBS in India which was awarded in 1992.
Apart from his clinical commitments which includes management of geriatric syndromes, orthogeriatrics and falls. Dr Varman is also interested in health education, service development, quality improvement, interface geriatrics, frailty, sepsis, vitamin D, osteoporosis and delirium in the elderly.
• Non-Operative management of Hip fractures in Elderly and outcomes: A Quality Improvement activity (QIA) In a tertiary Hospital Singapore ,ABSTRACT : AGE AND AGEING , British geriatrics society (BGS) Nov 2017, S D Varman, S B M Darshana, A C K Lau, K S Goh, W L Chow, S L Chit
• Rivaroxaban withdrawal and rebound hypercoagulability leading to upper extremity deep vein thrombosis: a case report , Age and Ageing 2017; 46: 870–871doi: 10.1093/ageing/afx073 Published electronically 3 May 2017, Subramanian Nagasayi, Surendra D Varman, Yeo yan Ti, Wendy Ang
• Implementation and early outcomes of the VC Hip fracture programme, ABSTRACT: American Geriatric Society Journal , June 2016, Kiat Sern Goh, Surendra Doraiswamy Varman, Leeanna Tay, Shannon Wang, Wan Sim Aw Yang, Yian Chin Lee, Wai Leng Chow, Kein Boon Poon.
• Offering older hospitalised patients the choice to die in their preferred place- Postgrad Med J 2013;89:20-24 doi:10.1136/postgradmedj-2012-131161 , David Jonathan Ahearn, Niamh Nidh, Arun Kallat, Yousouf Adenwala, Surendra Varman.
• The journey of care for the frail older person British Journal of Hospital Medicine71(2): 92 - 96, Feb 2010, Anita Ayyar, Surendra Varman, Sorcha De Bhaldraithe, Iqbal Singh.
• Usefulness pf Pre-op screening checklist on Fast tracking Hip surgery in a Tertiary Hospital Pilot in Singapore, ABSTRACT: EUGMS Journal 2015, Surendra D Varman, Agnes Huang Wan Wei, Goh Kiart Sern, Poon Kein Boon, ValuedCare Hip fracture Team, Changi General Hospital, Singapore.
• Elderly Mortality and Preferred place of death , ABSTRACT : EUGMS JOURNAL 2010, Netherland, David Jonathan Ahearn, Niamh Nidh, Arun Kallat, Yousouf Adenwala, Surendra Varman.
• Using Lean Methodology to reduce falls on in-patient acute elderly wards, ABSTRACT: BGS, Age and Ageing UK, 2010, D J Ahearn, A Kallat, S Varman, C Walton Department of Elderly Medicine, Royal Bolton Hospital.
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the updates to your email inbox...