The CGH Palliative Care service was established in September 2012 under the auspices of the Geriatric Medicine department. The Palliative Care service is Supported by a multi-disciplinary team of doctors, nurses and social workers, the Palliative Care Service provides consultation services and a weekly outpatient clinic. The service also helps with the control of difficult symptoms, complex psychosocial issues and terminal discharge in patients with advanced life limiting conditions. Around 80% of patients referred have advanced cancers while the remaining 20%suffer from end stage organ failure or severe infections.
The CGH Palliative Care Service works closely with the Saint Andrew’s Community Hospital (SACH) palliative care team, which runs the palliative care Violet ward in SACH. CGH patients may be referred to the Violet Ward for interim care if they require symptom control, caregiver training or if they are awaiting inpatient hospice. The Violet Ward is also able to provide terminal care should the patient’s condition deteriorate.
The CGH Palliative Care Service collaborates with the SACH palliative team to conduct weekly teaching sessions. Through this partnership, a community palliative programme to support patients with end stage organ failure is also being developed.
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the updates to your email inbox...